The purpose of this study is for researchers to gain a better understanding of depression by accessing information that is already being gathered by smartphone sensors to understand how daily activities, habits and other factors may be related to mood. The main benefit of participation is helping researchers develop new methods of helping people with depression in the future.
Study participation would last up to 4 months. If enrolled, you will be asked to:
- download study app(s) and keep them installed on your personal smartphone,
- periodically complete brief surveys about your mood, health, interactions, and daily activities and longer surveys online, and
- stay in touch with study staff by email, phone, and/or text message.
Eligible participants may be compensated up to $135 for completing the study surveys.
This study is for individuals:
- Who have an Android smartphone or iPhone with
- an up-to-date operating system, and
- a cellular data plan, and
- regular Wi-Fi connectivity
- Who are US Citizens or Residents
- Who are at least 18 years old (*participants who reside in Nebraska must be at least 19 years old)
- With and without depression
- Who are willing to share data gathered from their smartphone sensors
Please note that if you are found to be ineligible for the study, we will not be able to provide specific feedback on the reasons why.
Take our online screener today to find out if you may be eligible to participate.
For any immediate questions or concerns, please contact the study team:
Call: 855-NUCBITS (855-682-2487)
This study (STU00205316) has been approved by the Northwestern University Institutional Review Board and is funded by NIMH grant R01MH111610 awarded to David C. Mohr, Ph.D., and Konrad P. Kording, Ph.D.